Since my wife is currently 53, this number tribute is in her honor. This post has been in the works for some time, but it got lost in the daily shuffle of life. Besides, I better post it before it’s no longer valid.
- 53 is also written as fifty-three, LIII, cinquante trios, vijftig drie, femtio tre, Fünfzig drei, fifty tatlo
- 53 is only divisible by itself and not a perfect square (7.280109889), but squared is 2809
- 53 is the racing number of Herbie the Love Bug
- The 53rd Precinct in the Bronx is the setting for the TV comedy Car 54, Where Are You?
- Tony Baretta worked in the fictitious 53rd precinct
- For Boston Public fans Chapter 53 aired 6 January 2003 (Season 3, Episode 9)
- The Pick was Seinfeld’s 53rd episode
- The Ramones sang 53rd & 3rd – Lyrics here
- B-52s sang 53 Miles West of Venus
- Here’s a movie review about the movie Fifty-Three
- The 53rd Academy Awards for one day due to the assassination attempt on President Reagan. See the winners and nominees.
- The 53rd Primetime Emmy Awards were rescheduled twice due to the 9/11 terror attacks.
- 53 Days is a novel by Georges Perec
- Ringo Starr’s book Postcards from the Boys contains 53 postcards from fellow Beatles
- Here’s a book with 53 poems
- 53 is the international direct dial code for calling Cuba
- Africa has 53 countries
- Interstate 53 is a proposal to link St. Louis and Minneapolis
- Take a drive on Illinois state route 53
- There is a 53 drinking game
- Some people play poker with one joker, thus 53 playing cards
- 53rd Street, crossing midtown Manhattan, has a lot to notice
- Iodine, is atomic number 53 on the periodic table, thus has 53 protons
- Football field: width: 53 1/3 yards (160 feet)
- Pitchers Jim Palmer and Gaylord Perry each had 53 career shutouts
- Dodger pitcher Don Drysdale wore #53
- Most goals scored by an NHL rookie: 53 by Islander Mike Bossy (1977-78)
- Most points by a rookie in a NBA Playoff game: 53 by Philadelphia’s Wilt Chamberlain, 1960
- Most field goals (3-games series, NBA Playoff), 53 by Michael Jordan, 1992
- Utah Jazz Mark Eaton’s jersey #53 is retired
- 53 national football associations are members of UEFA
- The Florida Panthers hosted the 53rd NHL All-Star (2003)
- #53 has never won a NASCAR race, but 17 different drivers tried
On Jan 16, 2009, the President of Zambia commuted the death sentences of 53 prisoners to custodial sentences.
The Japanese 53rd Army was the part of the country’s last defense to protect the mainland from Allied forces last in WW II.
The British 53rd Infantry Division fought in both world wars.
The U.S.’s 53rd Congress (1893-1895) met during President Grover Cleveland’s fifth and sixth year in office.
Year 53 AD
- is year 597 in the Buddhist calendar
- Claudius secured a senatorial decree that gives jurisdiction in financial cases to imperial procurators, thus weakening the Roman Senate
- Nero marries Octavia
- Claudius accepts Nero as his successor to the detriment of his son (Britannicus) by his first wife (Messalina).
Year 53 BC
- is year 2281 in the Korean calendar
- During the Roman-Parthian War, is in full swing ( FYI: Parthia is northeastern Iran)
- Caesar is battling several revolts in Gaul
- Artavasdes II becomes king of Armenia
- Yang Xiong, Chinese philosopher was born (d. 18)
Click here for a few more posts about numbers.