To some, the Reds were supposed to be the 2009 surprise. Even without the many injuries, I saw my team as one of “many ifs” that needed to materialize to be contender. Well, those ifs didn’t come about; therefore another losing season is in the books.
I still remember August 22nd. The Reds had just lost their second game in a row to the Pirates and fallen into last place. Since that date the Reds were 27-13 (.755), the best record in baseball during that span; from 20 games below .500 to 14, from a half game behind the Pirates to 15 ½ games ahead of them; from 6th place to 4th and closer to 3rd than to 5th; from a run differential of -105 to -50,
Those last 40 games provided many bright spots.
- P Homer Bailey was 5-1 in his last 8 starts with a sub-2 ERA.
- P Johnny Cueto pitched well after returning from the DL.
- P Bronson Arroyo was a good as any pitcher in the game after the last 3 months
- CF Drew Stubbs hit and fielded better than Willie Taveras
- After a long-DL stint, OF Jay Bruce regained his batting stroke
- P Nick Masset was great out of the bullpen
- 1B Joey Votto had a monster September
- P Aaron Harang was improving before the appendectomy
- In the last 30 days, the Reds were in the top 5 in many offensive categories, and led the NL in many pitching and fielding categories
The Reds finished strong but still have off-season work to do, which will be difficult with a budget – which also says that Cordero, Arroyo, and/or Harang could go. The other end of the scale is this quote from an MLB scout, “I think they might be as far away from seriously contending as the Pirates, or maybe even farther.” Ouch!
Catcher, shortstop, and LF are questions, although SS Paul Janish is defensively ready. Another RH batter would help. Interestingly, Yonder Alonso is only plays first, so whenever he’s ready, does Joey Votto go to left?
- September: 20-11
- Record: 78-84, 478; (’08 74-88, .457)
- Home: 40-41 (’08, 43-38)
- Road: 29-36 (’08, 31-50)
- East: 16-19, -6 (’08, 19-17)
- Cent: 42-34 (’08, 31-47)
- West: 10-22, -8 (’08, 15-18)
- Place: Div 4th, NL 10th (’08, 5th, 11th)
- Runs: 11th (’08: 12th)
- AVE: .247; 15th (’08: .247, last)
- AB: 11th (’08: 16th)
- AVE w/RISP: .250; 12th (’08: .240, 16th)
- AVE w/RISP 2 outs: .223, 11th (’08: 213, 14th)
- ERA: 4.18, 7th (’08: 4.55; 13th)
- WHIP: 1.37, 8th (’08; 1.46; 13th)
- AVE: .258, 6th (’08; .275; 14th)
- Saves: 41/53 (77%) 1st in NL
- ERR: 10th highest (’08 2nd highest)
- F% .985 (6th) (’08: .981, 14th)
- DER .7170 (3rd) (’08: .6881)
Logo is property of the Cincinnati Reds