On a Coincidence
This is Vol. 53 of this feature, and earlier this week I featured the number 53 in a post.
On Losing Moderate Democrats
With Evan Bayh (D-IN) joining Byron Dorgan (D-ND), the Democrats are losing two senators who are willing find common ground with Republicans. This probably means that the partisan divide will grow.
Here are a few great columns of the week.
- David Broder: On the Ungovernable Senate
- Ruth Marcus: On Evan Bayh’s Departure
- David Brooks: On the President and Bipartisanship
- George Will: On Sarah Palin and the Mutual Loathing Society
- Common Ground (USA Today) : On a Do-Nothing Congress
On the Stimulus Anniversary
Pundits have noted that one year ago this week, President Obama signed the economic stimulus bill. While I encouraged a presidential veto, the bill is far from as bad as Republicans make it to be, and far from as effective as Democrats claim. But here’s what gets me the most – the Republicans proclaiming excess pork while smilingly bringing home the bacon. To keep it simple, they are pathetic and an embarrassment to us all.
On a Willie Song
While recently listening to Bluesville (XM 74), I heard Willie Mabon’s version of Poison Ivy with the following lyrical line (which cracked me up): I feel like poison ivy, I breakout all over you.
Since curling seems to captivate people every four years, let the record show that I have curled … actually about 35 years ago.
On a Cincinnati Winter
On Feb 15th we broke the record (1914) for most snow in February. And to think we still have almost two weeks to go.
On Moon-Driven Desserts
Last week we were in Alabama – and with Mardi Gras on the doorstep, Moon Pies are in the air. The Mobile Press-Register’s article showing how to incorporate Moon Pies into desserts caught my attention. Since I cannot locate that article, this one will have to do. The picture here is worth the look – and I dedicate this to blogger/photographer Joe in Arkansas.
On Thoughts to Ponder
- Happiness: Do you pursue it or create it?
- If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
- To avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables, ever consider having someone else hold the vegetables while you chop?