Superheroes are common in cartoon world, yet Underdog brought us an animated animal as a take on Superman – and everyone knows, There’s no need to fear, Underdog is here!
Points to know about Underdog
- Debuted October 3, 1964, ran 124 episodes, until 1973
- Underdog, the alter ego of Shoeshine Boy, always protects Sweet Polly Purebred.
- Underdog, voiced by actor Wally Cox, always spoke in rhymes.
- Underdog kissed Sweet Polly in The Wicked Witch Of Pickyoon
- Villain Simon Bar Sinister, based on a Lionel Barrymore character, had an assistant, Chad Lackey; but a Barre Sinister is a diagonal line on medieval family crests indicating the person is a bastard by birth
- Villain Riff-Raff, Public Enemy #1 and based on gangster character by actor George Raff, has a gang of Sandy the Safecracker, Mooch, Spinny Wheels, Dinah Myte, Nails the Carpenter, Needles the Tailor, Smitty the Blacksmith, and the Witch Doctor.
- Other villains include The Electric (Slippery) Eel, Battyman, Tap-Tap the Chisler, and Overcat. Underdog also regularly faced enemies from alien worlds, such as the Marbleheads from Planet Granite, the Magnet Planet, home to the Magnet Men, the Planet of Zot, and the Saucer Planet, home to the Flying Sorcerers.
- Other characters on the show, but not in the Underdog episodes, include Go Go Gophers, King Leonardo, Tennessee Tuxedo, Klondike Kat, The Hunter and Commander McBragg
- When Polly’s in trouble, I am not slow; For it’s pip! pip! pip! and away I go.