To those of us who grew up during cartoon’s golden age, Rocky and Bullwinkle are icons. Add the show’s entire cast, now we have a tribute to creator Jay Ward’s brilliance.
J Troplong “Jay” Ward, creator and leader of Jay Ward Productions, is responsible for such characters as Rocky and Bullwinkle, Peabody and Sherman (past post), Dudley Do-Right, Snidely Whiplash, Hoppity Hopper, Tom Slick, Super Chick, Crusader Rabbit, and the two honorees in this post.
Rocky and Bullwinkle debuted in 1959 on ABC, and then moved to NBC two years later. Notables as Frostbite Falls, Wossamatta U, Mr. Know It All, Fractured Fairytales, a way-back time machine for Peabody and Sherman (past post), and more became part of popular culture.
Two villains constantly chasing Bullwinkle – and always foiled by Moose and Squirrel – were Boris and Natasha. Not only was the Cold War prominent in our lives at that time, this event of the era also served as the springboard for these two characters. A few notes about each are below, followed by a wonderful music video about them. Enjoy, and thank you Larry for the find.
- From Pottsylvania
- Name is a play on the 16th-century Russian Tsar Boris Godunov
- Degree from The University of Safe-Cracking (USC)
- Taglines: Must capture moose and squirrel;
- Report to Fearless Leader, and occasionally Mr. Big
- List of his disguises
- Taglines: Hello Dollink, Sharrup your mouth,
- A former Miss Transylvania
- Almost always seen in a purple dress, put also wore red in the final season
- Original name Natasha Nogoodnik
- Appeared in two Mr. Know-It-All segments
- Appeared in all but four Rocky and Bullwinkle storylines