There’s no doubt that President Obama’s inaugural address is more to the left. Although the GOP squawking about it is not surprising, I remind them that they spent four years focusing on the goal of “making sure he would be a one-term president” – so what the heck to they expect. Sorry GOP, reconciliation is in your court, not his.
Wow – House Republicans backing down from the debt ceiling fight is a huge surprise. Here’s an interesting read.
I’m still amazed to hear references as Fascism, Hitler, etc regarding the Obama administration. This time it was the CEO of Whole Foods.
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) isn’t much better:
I think my role is to uphold support and defend our Constitution, … The Constitution I uphold and defend is the one I carry in my pocket all the time, the U.S. Constitution. I don’t know what Constitution that other members of Congress uphold, but it’s not this one. I think the only Constitution that Barack Obama upholds is the Soviet constitution, not this one. He has no concept of this one, though he claimed to be a constitutional lawyer.
Regardless of the topic and the administration, here’s one thing that we can count on during Congressional hearings: one side is generally soft while the others proudly declare, “I am an ass.”
All the hubbub about Beyonce’s singing at the inauguration is a sad commentary in itself.
On This Week’s Headlines from The Onion
- Nation descends into utter chaos following Dear Abby’s death
- Lance Armstrong plan return to cycling as fan-hating villain
- Russell Crowe praised for man who cannot sing in Les Mis’
- List of politically achievable reforms down to just three minor changes to traffic code
- Romney makes desperate last-ditch bid for presidency
- Biden working through scratch-off tickets during Obama’s swearing in
- Michelle Obama is not keen on President’s new bangs
- Columnists David Brooks and Gail Collins about budgets, deficits, and politics
- The Lights and Nights in Reykjavik
- Marketing and the naughty statue slideshow (to read about this, click the Article tab)
- Science, theology, and the sense of awe
- Martin Luther King’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech
- See a very interesting set of sculptures
- National Geographic picture collection of small wonders
While Super Bowl XLVII is the first with two brothers as head coaching opponents – but here is the tie to me. Their father, a long-time NFL assistant coach, graduated from the same college as me – Bowling Green State University.
I have often said that biology teachers are in three categories regarding teaching evolution: Those teaching it well, those teaching it poorly, and those not teaching it at all. It seems this article supports my claim.
Cheers to my Cincinnati getting baseball’s 2015 All-Star Game. Too bad that Commission Bud Selig came to town for the announcement. I must say that I may like idiotic politicians more than him.
Check out the interactive Census Dotmap created by a MIT graduate student.
Good news – I will post a classic cartoon post on Saturday.
Bad news – I’m taking a short break after Saturday’s post.
To send you into the weekend, enjoy these images of the wonder of creation from deep space to the fitting music by Vangelis. Have a good weekend! In the words of Garrison Keillor, Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.