Although I’ve been to the state of Alabama before, staying a month allows ample learning opportunities. I present tidbits you may not know about the state of Alabama.
1) These people are football crazy! During the month and no matter the day of the week, the newspaper’s Sports section features college football – even weeks after the season is over. Ohio is enthusiastic about football. Texas thinks they invented the game – but Alabamians are just bonkers over football.
2) Grapefruits and oranges in the store were of pathetic quality. I get better tasting citrus in Ohio. Being close to Florida, one would think the quality would be better. After all, Florida thinks they invented grapefruits. Why we couldn’t find pink grapefruits from Texas is beyond me.
3) We stayed in Orange Beach – where sales tax is 10% on everything!
4) The Alabama coast is only 100 miles (160 km) – but the beaches are very good.
5) Restaurant menus offer many fried foods – they may be willing to fry anything.
6) Politically, Alabamians are very conservative, therefore all troubles can be traced back to presidents who were Democrats – especially Obama and Clinton.
7) Alabama is home for manufacturing/assembly plants for Toyota, Airbus, Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes-Benz.
8) Alabama is home to the first Mardi Gras in the U.S. (Mobile).
9) The Atlas rocket that launched astronauts to the moon was built in Alabama (Huntsville).
10) Alabama is home to the monument honoring an agricultural pest – the Boll Weevil (Enterprise).
11) Alabamians described President Trump’s inaugural address as uplifting, refreshing, unifying, powerful, great, and amazing.
12) Alabama has the longest Constitution in the world: over 300,000 words and 775 amendments.
13) Alabama is the only state naturally possessing all the raw materials for steel. No wonder a statue of Vulcan sits on a hilltop above Birmingham.
14) I’ve never seen so many billboards advertizing attorneys – and the number of TV commercials for attorneys is very high. I saw this commercial 10 times in 45 minutes – while wondering about the content. Any thoughts?