Here are my key reasons why I did not watch the State of the Union (SOTU):
- It’s a collection of applause lines over many topics with little substance
- Congressional behavior is predictably pathetic (Suggestion: Stand and clap at the beginning; sit, listen, and be quiet; stand and clap at the end, then leave to run to the cameras)
- The SOTU is a Constitutional requirement, but the opposing party’s response is nothing more than political grandstanding
- I’m unhappy with the both parties
Given the predictable responses by both sides in Congress, I ask them this question about their legislative prowess: Which is worse: Sending a bill to the other chamber knowing they won’t act or not acting on a bill that was sent?
The past week delivered Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) declaring President Obama started the war on women, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) blaming Democrats (again) on the government shutdown, Mike Huckabee (R-AK) making a ridiculous statement about libido, and the Arizona Republican Party censuring their senior senator from their own party, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).
I said it before and it’s time to say it again: China carrying the bulk of US debt is a common misconception. Here’s the breakdown.
On This Week’s Headlines from The Onion
- Dad Delivers State of the Union Rebuttal Directly into Television Screen
- Increasingly Worried Man Hasn’t Yet Come Across any Guacamole in Burrito
- Area Grandma Enjoys Flourishing Correspondence with Mailer-Daemon
- Best, Most-Original Idea Man Ever Had Returns 14,000 Google Search Results
- Spookiest Sound Effect Grammy Goes to Lord Chillingsworth
- How to talk to climate skeptics
- Interesting facts about the internet in America
- Columnist David Brooks on faith
- An interactive about the Battle of the Bulge (WW II, not obesity)
- Ten reasons to remove Algebra II from public schools (this is a good one)
- Cheers and overflowing beer
The anticipated debate between science advocate Bill Nye and Answers in Genesis President Ken Ham is approaching, and no doubt will deliver a narrow view, thus providing a false choice. Here’s an article.
The recent Grammy Awards were big news. The show now focuses on performances and promotion over the awards. After all, there are over 80 categories, and how many did they broadcast? 10?
The AFA musical production for 2014 will be …. (click here for the drum roll) …. Life: The Musical. The production date TBA.
The Explorer of the Seas, the Royal Caribbean ship in the news with the recent norovirus, is the ship we were on this fall in Canada …. and no, the news doesn’t discourage me from cruising with Royal Caribbean in the future.
FYI for those living in/near metropolitan areas: When needing a new appliance, don’t forget the local independent dealer. We went to one and discovered the big-box stores were NOT close on price!
Here are your weekend celebrations
(Fri) Brandy Alexander Day, Fun at Work Day, Backward Day, Inspire Your Heart with Art Day, Hell Freezes Over Day, Baked Alaska Day, Working Naked Day
(Sat) Serpent Day, Freedom Day, Hula in the Coola Day, Robinson Crusoe Day, Change Your Password Day, Decorating with Candy Day, GI Joe Day, Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, Spunky Old Broads Day, Take Your Child to the Library Day, Face and Body Day
(Sun) Crepe Day, Dump Your Significant Jerk Day, Groundhog Day, Groundhog Job Shadow Day, Hedgehog Day, Sled Dog Day, Play Your Ukulele Day, Wetlands Day
Let’s use a dose of the 80s to whip everyone into the weekend with Ohio’s own Devo. Have a safe weekend and in the words of Garrison Keillor, Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.