Music is the wine which inspires one to new generative processes, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for mankind and makes them spiritually drunken.
~Ludwig van Beethoven
Interestingly, Beethoven turned 240 last week (December 17th). Coincidently, Meesh (who – like I, appreciates wine) gave me this quote, which actually inspired this post.
I love wine and view it as a gift. Every year Wine Spectator precedes the holiday season by publishing its top 100. For your holiday pleasure, here are wines on the list, but priced at less than $20. White wine drinkers, sorry the list all red because that is what I enjoy the most and know most about; but, upon special request, I’ll see what I can discover for you.
- Bodegas Beronia Rioja Reserve 2005 (Spain)
- Columbia Crest Merlot Horse Heaven Hills H3 2007 (Washington)
- Chateau de Lascaux 2008 (France, Langeudoc)
- Bodegas Ondarre Rioja Reserve (Spain)
- Yelands Pinto Noir 2008 (New Zealand, Marborough)
- D’Arenberg The Stump Jump Red 2008 (Australia)
- Bodegas LAN Rioja Crianza (Spain)
- Peter Lehmann Clancy’s Barossa 2007 (Australia)
- Tamarack Firehouse Red Columbia Valley 2008 (Washington)
As a bonus, here are some of my value favorites.
- Peter Lehman Shiraz (Australia)
- Il Conte Rosso (Italy) – the best value on the planet if you can find it
- Marietta Old Vine Red Lot 53 (California)
- Rosenblum Vintner’s Cuvee Zinfandel XXXII (or any other Roman numeral) (California)
- Various malbecs from Argentina or primotivos from southern Italy (Puglia)
Need a red wine for the holiday to serve to those who don’t like heavy reds? Try a Dolcetto (Italy) or a Beujalois Village (France) by George DuBuoef or Louis Jadot.
Need an easy sparkling wine for New Years’ that is easy on the palate and budget? Consider Saint Hillaire (France), a prosecco from Italy or a cava from Spain … but so many love sweetness of Asti Spumante (Italy). Wine Spectator values include Korbel Chardonnay California Champagne NV ($12) and Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut Columbia Valley NV.
Need a dessert? Try this fabulous Chocolate-Red Wine Cake … and drink it with some ruby port. The pair is simply heavenly! For ruby port values, try Fonseca Port Bin No. 27 or Warre Port Warrior.
If you are a daring wine buyer, remember the online site Wine Till Sold Out (www.wtso.com). They only post one wine at a time, so if see something you want, don’t wait.
A few more wine quotes.
- “Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.” (Ben Franklin)
- “Wine is bottled poetry.” (Robert Louis Stevenson)
- “He who loves not wine, women and song remains a fool his whole life long.” (Martin Luther)
- “Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.” (Louis Pasteur)
For those desiring more, here is a page with 101 wine quotes. Please share any wine recommendations too!
So far, the gift bag delivered holiday humor (Monday), images (Tuesday), and wine (today). What will tomorrow bring?