Greetings from Cincinnati as our first winter storm is approaching, thus should fall overnight. We’re not expecting a dumping, but too much for this time of the year. I’ll probably give some updates in the comments for those to the east who may be in-line for the dreaded White Death of Winter.
Anyway … Tell me about your weekend?
Mine started Thursday as I went with a friend to Indianapolis (2 hr drive) for a national high school marching band competition. As a former band member, it’s interesting to see that it has evolved into since my days.
We returned to Cincinnati in order to attend a college football game that evening. Burrrr … it was cold … and a crazy game! Football fans know that 4 touchdowns and a field goal in the last 5 minutes of the game isn’t normal. At least we left the game smiling.
Meanwhile, the rest of the weekend wasn’t frantic for us, but we did have an evening ballroom dancing, an evening with our church wine tasting group, and we saw St. Vincent (staring Bill Murray) at the movie theater. It’s an easy movie to follow, an interesting story, and we enjoyed it.
Celebrations for your week
- (Week) Hunger & Homeless Awareness Week, Fraud Awareness Week, Book Awards Week, Children’s Book Week, Global Entrepreneurship Week, Family Caregivers Week, Adoption Week
- (Mon) Baklava Day, Homemade Bread Day, Unfriend Day, Prematurity Awareness Day, Petroleum Day, Take a Hike Day, Remembrance Day, World Peace Day
- (Tues) Married to a Scorpio Support Day, Mickey Mouse Day, Push-Button Phone Day, Antibiotic Awareness Day, Entrepreneurship Day, Vichyssoise Day, William Tell Day, Occult Day
- (Wed) Have-a-Bad-Day Day, Toilet Day, Carbonated Beverages with Caffeine Day, Gettysburg Address Day, Equal Opportunity Day, Geographic Information Systems Day, Men’s Day
- (Thurs) Absurdity Day, Use Less Stuff Day, African Industrialization Day, Globally Organized Hug a Runner Day, Stop Smoking Day, Name Your PC Day, Peanut Butter Fudge Day
Last week was Sesame Street Week, so I celebrated the week by tagging a couple of my Muppet favorites. This one involves two of my favorite characters, Statler and Waldorf … you know, the two old guys in the theater box. The segment is actually based on this routine between comedians Milton Berle and Henny Youngman. Enjoy and have a good week.
Although not in my normal posting time slot, Happy Monday to all. I’m late this week because we returned home later than initially anticipated. Besides, I still haven’t replied to comments from Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
We drove cross state to Cleveland on Friday for a variety of events – primarily for my wife’s high school reunion and attending one-day of the Bridgestone Invitational Golf Tournament at the famed Firestone Country Club, which has annually hosted professional golf since 1954 … and in 1974, three tournaments!
We initially planned to attend on Saturday, but the times were changed in anticipation of horrible afternoon weather … so we attended Sunday – which included an hour rain delay. My mother-in-law’s favorite golfer was Phil Michelson, so since she passed away last December, my wife wanted to follow him … and she claims her mother’s karma was with Phil has he whipped off 10 birdies in route the tournament’s second best round. He was fun to watch … and cheers to Rory McIlroy for winning … but because of the 3+ hour drive home, we didn’t stay until the end.
Outside of National Historic Places, Ohioans don’t think of their state was having a national park … but it does – Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Given we had about two hours before we had to be at my sister-in-laws, we went to the park’s Visitor’s Center before going to Brandywine Falls (Google pics) and one of the intact locks in the Erie Canal. Then I joined our brother-in-law for a round of golf while my wife went to her reunion. Because of the change in the Saturday’s golf tournament schedule, we returned for a Saturday morning walk on the canal’s towpath, then spent the rest of the day relaxing at my sister-in-laws.
Enough of my weekend, how was yours? Come on now … tell us something!
Celebrations for your week
- (Week) Tree Climbing Days, Clown Week, Simplify Your Life Week, Breastfeeding Week, Assistance Day Week, Exercise With Your Child Week, Farmers’ Market Week, Fraud Awareness Week, Old Fiddler’s Week, Stop on Red Week, Exhibitor Appreciation week, Rock for Life week, Bargain Hunting Week, Psychic Week
- (Mon) Chocolate Chip Day, Champagne Day, Assistance Dog Day, Nut Monday, Picnic Day, Youth Day, Coast Guard Day
- (Tues) National Night Out, Oyster Day, Underwear Day, International Beer Day
- (Wed) Play Day, Wiggle Your Toes Day, Root Beer Float Day, Fresh Breath Day, Hiroshima Day
- (Thurs) Lighthouse Day, Particularly Preposterous Packing Day, Purple Heart Day, Raspberries & Cream Day, Sea Serpent Day
To help you start your week, here’s a clip of the zaniness from a comedy variety show from way back when (well, yesterday for some of us) – the Rowan & Martin Laugh In. Have a good week ahead!