Instead of dedicating a new post to a classic cartoon character, today is a pick-your-treat day! Below as the characters from past posts, so pick one – any one – or as many was who wish because this is your special Saturday Morning Buffet of cartoon characters. Enjoy! Which did you watch this morning?
The Quick Draw McGraw Show followed The Ruff & Reddy Show and The Huckleberry Hound Show in there developing stable of cartoon shows featuring a variety of characters while retaining the 7 minute cartoon segment of the time.
One has to keep in mind that this was an ear when westerns were still popular entertainment; so having a featuring a horse as the well-intended sheriff was apropos.
Ten Things about Quick Draw McGraw
- Baba Looey, a burro, was his deputy
- Commercials for Sugar Smacks cereal
- Sagebrush Sal was the common damsel in distress
- Debuting on Sept. 29, 1959; ran only ran 3 seasons with 45 episodes
- Alter-ego was El Kabong, a masked vigilante (debuted Jan. 12, 1960)
- El Kabong used his kabonger to kabong the bad guys
- “Of all the heroes in legend and song, there’s none as brave as El Kabong”
- (Baba Louie) “Queeks Draw, I theen…”, (an interrupting Quick Draw) “Now hoooooold on thar, Baba Looey! I’ll do the “thinnin'” around here, and doooon’t you forget e-it!”
- The show also introduced was to Snuffles (biscuit-loving dog), Snooper & Blabber (private eyes), Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy (father/son), and Snagglepuss (sophisticated tiger recognized in this past post)
- Quick Draw reappeared in Yogi’s Gang (1973), Laff-a-Lympics (1977-1978), Yogi’s Space Race (1978), and Casper’s First Christmas (1979)
I wouldn’t call Snagglepuss my favorite character, but his unique voice and trademark sayings make him a classic. Enjoy this week’s cartoon honoree. For other posts about cartoons, click here or see Categories > Entertainment-Cartoons in the Sidebar. Please return every Saturday for another honoree.
Did You Knows about Snagglepuss
- Created in 1959 by Hanna-Barbera
- First appeared as a sheep stealer on Quick Draw McGraw
- Become a regular on The Yogi Bear Show (32 episodes), Yogi’s Gang (1973) with Squiddly Diddly, Yakkee Doodle, and Secret Squirrel, and served as host of the Laff-A-Lympics (1977, 1978), and appeared in Yogi’s Treasure Hunt (1985)
- Common sayings include “Heavens to Murgatroyd!”, “Exit, stage right!” (or left, up, or down), and including “even” at the end of many sentences.
- A pink lion, but friendly and civilized
- Often mistaken as a wild beat by big-game hunter Major Minor
- Appeared in early-60s commercials for Kellogg cereals
- Has a brother – Snaggletooth
- Had a similar voice to actor Bert Lahr