Before our next wedding anniversary passes, I should dedicate a post to our 34th wedding anniversary. Then again, in fine male fashion, I could procrastinate. Nonetheless, I dedicate this post to my wife, who is probably reading this at work.
- The ninth distinct semiprime
- Divisible by 1, 2, 17, 34
- Its neighbors (33 and 35) also have four divisors each, thus 34 is the smallest number surrounded by numbers with the same number of divisors as it has.
- The ninth Fibonacci number and a companion Pell number, Markov number, and heptagonal number.
- This number is the magic constant of a 4 by 4 normal magic square
- The atomic number of selenium, whose neutral atom has 34 protons and 34 electrons
- At week 34 of pregnancy, the baby weighs over 4 lbs, 17” long, with a mature digestive system, settled into its final position, and surrounded by the maximum level of amniotic fluid
- Saros solar eclipse series 34 was 1532.5 years (August 1917 BC to February 384 BC) and it contained 86 solar eclipses.
- Saros lunar eclipse series 34 last 1298.1 years (May 1633 BC and ended on June 335 BC), and contained 73 lunar eclipses.
Retired Baseball #34 Uniforms: Kirby Puckett (Minnesota Twins), Nolan Ryan (Houston Astros and Texas Rangers), and Rollie Fingers (Oakland Athletics and Milwaukee Brewers)
Retired NBA#34 Jerseys
Clyde Lovellete (Lakers), Mel Daniels (Pacers) Hakeem Olajuwon (Rockets), Austin Carr (Cavaliers), Charles Barkley (Suns and 76’ers),
Retired NFL #34 Jerseys: Walter Payton (Bears), Earl Campbell (Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans), and Joe Perry (49’ers)
Reds Players Wearing #34: Pedro Borbon (1972-1974,1976,1978-1979), Fred Norman (1979), Bill Scherrer (1983-1984), Alan Knicely (1985), Mike Smith (1986), Bill Gullickson (1987), Jeff Reed (1990,1992), current Red Homer Bailey
Stone Street won the 34th Kentucky Derby (1908)
Golfer Bobby Jones won the 34th US Open (1930)
St. Louis Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV by defeating the Tennessee Titans 23-16 (1999 regular season)
No #34 has ever won a NASCAR race, but John Andretti has raced it the most times.
In US History
- 34th US President was Dwight D Eisenhower
- 34th Congress met from March 4, 1855 to March 4, 1857 with 62 senators and 234 representatives during the last two years of President Franklin Pierce’s term.
- 34th parallel north formed the northern boundary of the Confederate State of Arizona
In the Military
- 34th Bomb Squadron is one the oldest squadrons in the USAF
- USAF deactivated the 34th Fighter Squadron in 2010
- 34th Armored Regiment and assigned to the 5th Armored Division
- Code for international direct-dial phone calls to Spain
- The traffic code of Istanbul, Turkey
- 34th parallel north crosses Algeria, Tunisia, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indian, China, South Korea, Japan, California (through LA) to South Carolina (through Columbia), North Carolina, and Morocco (through Rabat)
- 34th parallel south cross South Africa (through Cape Town), Australia, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay
- 34th meridian east extents from the North Pole to the South Pole while passing through Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi,, Mozambique,, and Antarctica
- 34th meridian east extends from the North Pole to the South Pole only passing land through Greenland, the eastern tip of Brazil, and Antarctica.
- 34th Street in Manhattan includes Macy’s Herald Square, Penn Station, and the Empire State Building
- US Route 34 is a 1,122 mile connection between Granby, Colorado and Chicago.
- West Side Story won Best Picture at the 34th Academy Awards
- Rocky won Best Film at the 34th Golden Globe Awards
- Unforgettable by Natalie Cole won Best Song at the 34th Grammy Awards
- Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues won Best Comedy and Best Drama respectively at the 34th Emmy Awards
- Children of a Lesser God won Best Play at the 34th Tony Awards
- Holiday movie, Miracle on 34th Street
- Rule 34, a novel by Charles Stross
- #34″, a song by the Dave Matthews Band
- The lucky number of Victor Pelevin’s protagonist Stepan Mikhailov in the novel Numbers,
In the Year 34 AD
- Year 34 a common year starting on Friday
- Bengali calendar year -559, Korean calendar year 2367, and Holocene calendar year 10034
- Construction of a three-tier Roman aqueduct beginning in Nîmes and running for 269 miles.
- St. Paul and St. Barnabas start preaching the gospel to the Gentiles.
- Deaths Stephen, the first martyr of Christianity (stoned to death by Jewish leaders for preaching that Jesus was the Christ)
In the 34 BC Year
- 34 BC was either a common year starting on Friday, Saturday or Sunday or a leap year starting on Friday or Saturday
- Buddhist calendar year 511, Coptic calendar year -317 – 316, Islamic calendar year 675 BH – 674 BH
- Mark Antony becomes Roman Consul for the second time.
- Antony distributes the eastern kingdoms as a gift to the children of Cleopatra VII of Egypt;
- Antony declared Caesarion, Caesar’s legitimate son as co-ruler of Egypt and Cyprus.
- Antony established Cleopatra as a Hellenistic monarch at Alexandria and gives her the title of “Queen of Kings”.
- Rule 34 of the Internet, “If it exists, there is porn of it. No exceptions.”
- Request for production,
- Rule 34 of the U.S. Federal Rules of Civil Procedure is about producing documents
- 34 Degrees Crispbread Crackers
- Psalm 34